Welcome to Big Lake Middle School!
The middle school is home to about 770 students in grades 6-8 and is physically located between Independence Elementary and the high school.
The middle school's focus is to provide students with educational experiences that emphasize the instruction and overall well-being of learners. Teachers, administrators and staff take into account student learning, socialization needs and developmental diversity at Big Lake Middle School. Additionally, they understand that middle school years are critical years for developing appropriate behavior, which is why they employ a behavior philosophy called PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports). Using this behavior model, the school has dramatically minimized negative behaviors contributing to a welcoming environment for all learners.
Big Lake Middle School offers many classes that supplement Minnesota's required curriculum - these classes include:
- Music Education, Band or Choir
- EXCEL (Extended Curriculum for Exceptional Learners) - gifted and talented programming
- Physical Education
- Art & FACS
- Media & Technology (Project Lead the Way)
- Enrichment classes such as coding, mentoring, communications, personal finance and more!
- Activities include Spelling Bee, Geography Bee, Knowledge Bowl, Math Masters, Math Counts and more!
- See the district Activities page for information on athletic opportunities
To ease the transition from elementary school to middle school, our 6th grade operates as a "house" concept where students are separated into two teams, which have four main sections each.
The middle school promotes a welcoming and safe atmosphere for diverse learners. Students respect each other and staff, and promote a positive image in our community.